Tuesday 22 May 2012

The Next Adventure

For those of you who haven't read my blog yet, last year I went on an adventure to New Zealand to be a student on a DTS (Discipleship Training School) with YWAM (Youth With a Mission). YWAM is the largest missions organization in the world and they run schools, such as DTS’s and various other schools, all around the world all year long. A DTS consists of a 3 month lecture phase, where students grow in their relationship with God and are taught how to live with a mission focus, and how to serve God in all aspects of their lives. With daily lectures, weekly speakers, daily devotionals, daily and weekly work duties, mission opportunities, small groups and living in a God-focussed community setting, students solidify their relationship with God. My DTS was a Ski and Snowboarding DTS and during the lecture phase we went snowboarding twice a week to share God’s love to people we can easily relate. The ski hills are a place largely absent of God’s presence, and for the most part it’s full of people seeking satisfaction in places other than the Lord. We went out with a heart to usher the presence of God onto the hills.

Following the lecture phase, there is a 2 month outreach. During the outreach, students apply what they have learned and take it to serve different people of the world, showing the love of Jesus (Mark 16:15). My outreach last year took place in Malaysia and Turkey. In Malaysia we worked at a homeless shelter, a children’s ministry and a sports ministry. At these ministries we had the chance to build relationships, meet physical needs, teach English and share the gospel with people who wanted the message of Truth and love and salvation. In Turkey, we were able to host English clubs and paint their church. The Outreach is living out Jesus’ call on our lives as stated in Matthew 28:18-20.
This year I’m going back to New Zealand to do another SDTS. This time I won’t be attending as a student, but instead as a staff member. My role will be to disciple students through their growth with God that will occur on their SDTS. I will be constantly praying for them, and with the strength of God, will walk through their struggles and their rejoices with them. I also will be leading an outreach with a group of 5-10 students. I feel God is bringing me back to New Zealand because He has big plans to work through me there using my gifts and talents and uses me in ways I don’t yet understand to help these students see His glory and live for Jesus with their hearts, minds and bodies.

In order to participate in this leadership opportunity, I will need support through prayer, and also financial provision. I believe the Lord provides, and I know that He takes care of the birds, so of course He will take care of me, whom He loves even more dearly. (Matthew 6:26)   If you feel led to bless me financially, you may receive a tax deductible receipt by making cheques payable to Sunwest Christian Fellowship, You also may drop donations off in the donation box at Sunwest, on Sunday mornings. Please indicate on the envelope that the funds will be going towards my YWAM missions trip, or drop them off at the church office, or you may give them to me directly. You can also make payments online via email money transfer or pay pal to btack@me.com. The easiest way is to click on the donate button on the top right of this page. If you have any more questions or would like to chat with me more about where God is leading me, please send me an email. While I’m away, feel free to see how God is using me on this particular journey by checking up on my blog


Thanks for checking this out and please keep updated!


Brendan Tackaberry

No comments:

Post a Comment